Definitions of special:
- noun: a television production that features a particular person or work or topic
Example: "The last of a series of BBC specials on Iran is being shown tonight"
- noun: a special offering (usually temporary and at a reduced price) that is featured in advertising
Example: "They are having a special on pork chops"
- noun: a dish or meal given prominence in e.g. a restaurant
- adjective: for a special service or occasion
Example: "A special correspondent"
- adjective: adapted to or reserved for a particular purpose
Example: "A special kind of paint"
- adjective: first and most important
Example: "His special interest is music"
- adjective: added to a regular schedule
Example: "A special holiday flight"
- adjective: having a specific function or scope
Example: "A special (or specific) role in the mission"
- adjective: surpassing what is common or usual or expected
Example: "He paid especial attention to her"
Search for special at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia