Definitions of stain:
- noun: a soiled or discolored appearance
Example: "The wine left a dark stain"
- noun: (microscopy) a dye or other coloring material that is used in microscopy to make structures visible
- noun: a symbol of disgrace or infamy
- noun: an act that brings discredit to the person who does it
- noun: the state of being covered with unclean things
- verb: color for microscopic study
- verb: color with a liquid dye or tint
Example: "Stain this table a beautiful walnut color"
- verb: produce or leave stains
Example: "Red wine stains the table cloth"
- verb: make dirty or spotty, as by exposure to air; also used metaphorically
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #36765)
Search for stain at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia