Definitions of stoop:
- noun: an inclination of the top half of the body forward and downward
- noun: small porch or set of steps at the front entrance of a house
- noun: basin for holy water
- verb: sag, bend, bend over or down
Example: "The rocks stooped down over the hiking path"
- verb: descend swiftly, as if on prey
Example: "The eagle stooped on the mice in the field"
- verb: carry oneself, often habitually, with head, shoulders, and upper back bent forward
Example: "The old man was stooping but he could walk around without a cane"
- verb: bend one's back forward from the waist on down
Example: "The young man stooped to pick up the girl's purse"
- verb: debase oneself morally, act in an undignified, unworthy, or dishonorable way
Example: "I won't stoop to reading other people's mail"
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #36742)
Search for stoop at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse