Definitions of tonic:
- noun: a medicine that strengthens and invigorates
- noun: (music) the first note of a diatonic scale
- noun: lime- or lemon-flavored carbonated water containing quinine
- noun: a sweet drink containing carbonated water and flavoring
Example: "In New England they call sodas tonics"
- adjective: used of syllables
Example: "A tonic syllables carries the main stress in a word"
- adjective: relating to or being the keynote of a major or minor scale
Example: "Tonic harmony"
- adjective: employing variations in pitch to distinguish meanings of otherwise similar words
- adjective: of or relating to or producing normal tone or tonus in muscles or tissue
Example: "A tonic reflex"
- adjective: imparting vitality and energy
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #67098)
Search for tonic at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2021 Datamuse