Definitions of voice:
- noun: a means or agency by which something is expressed or communicated
Example: "The voice of the law"
- noun: the distinctive quality or pitch or condition of a person's speech
Example: "A shrill voice sounded behind us"
- noun: the ability to speak
Example: "He lost his voice"
- noun: the sound made by the vibration of vocal folds modified by the resonance of the vocal tract
Example: "A singer takes good care of his voice"
- noun: something suggestive of speech in being a medium of expression
Example: "The wee small voice of conscience"
- noun: a sound suggestive of a vocal utterance
Example: "The noisy voice of the waterfall"
- noun: (metonymy) a singer
Example: "He wanted to hear trained voices sing it"
- noun: (linguistics) the grammatical relation (active or passive) of the grammatical subject of a verb to the action that the verb denotes
- noun: the melody carried by a particular voice or instrument in polyphonic music
- noun: expressing in coherent verbal form
Example: "I gave voice to my feelings"
- noun: an advocate who represents someone else's policy or purpose
- verb: give voice to
Example: "He voiced his concern"
- verb: utter with vibrating vocal chords
- name: A surname (very rare: popularity rank in the U.S.: #48781)
Search for voice at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Use in a sentence...
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse