Definitions of prophylactic:
- noun: remedy that prevents or slows the course of an illness or disease
- noun: contraceptive device consisting of a thin rubber or latex sheath worn over the penis during intercourse
- adjective: capable of preventing conception or impregnation
- adjective: tending to ward off
Example: "The swastika...a very ancient prophylactic symbol occurring among all peoples- Victor Schultze"
- adjective: preventing or contributing to the prevention of disease
Example: "Vaccines are prophylactic"
Search for prophylactic at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia