Definitions of variable:
- noun: a quantity that can assume any of a set of values
- noun: a symbol (like x or y) that is used in mathematical or logical expressions to represent a variable quantity
- noun: something that is likely to vary; something that is subject to variation
Example: "The weather is one variable to be considered"
- noun: a star that varies noticeably in brightness
- adjective: liable to or capable of change
Example: "Rainfall in the tropics is notoriously variable"
- adjective: (used of a device) designed so that a property (as e.g. light) can be varied
Example: "A variable capacitor"
- adjective: marked by diversity or difference
Example: "Nature is infinitely variable"
Search for variable at other dictionaries: OneLook, Oxford, American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Wikipedia
Copyright © 2020 Datamuse